1. Home
  2.  • 
  3. Family Law
  4.  • Family Law FAQ

Answering Your Family Law Questions

At Ortega & Ortega, PLLC, we understand how overwhelming it can be to face a family law dispute. We are here to help. Our attorneys are qualified to assist you with a range of matters that include divorce, establishing paternity or grandparents’ rights, modifications and adoption.

We’ve compiled a list of answers to questions that we frequently hear when we work with our family law clients. If you still have concerns after you read the information below, do not hesitate to contact our Phoenix firm.

How Quickly Can Divorces Be Finalized In Arizona?

Although each divorce case is different, uncontested divorces usually conclude much faster than contested divorces. In an uncontested divorce, parties can agree to divorce terms without relying on the court to intervene. This approach can save time and money, reducing stress and the legal expenses associated with splitting up a family.

In Arizona, it can take anywhere from 90 to 120 days on average to finalize an uncontested divorce. A contested divorce can take considerably longer and cost much more than an uncontested divorce. Contested divorces may take anywhere from six months to a year or even longer before they are finalized.

How Is Property Divided In Arizona?

Arizona is a community property state, which means that shared property, assets and debt are divided equally between spouses. Property, assets or debt owned by one spouse before marriage is considered separate property. Separate property may not be included in the property division agreement.

If you aren’t sure which type of property may be subject to division, contact us for more information.

I Am An Unmarried Father. Do I Need To Establish Paternity If My Name Is On The Certificate?

If you are concerned about asserting your parental rights in Arizona, you will need to take appropriate steps to have paternity established. If you are present when your child is born, the hospital will give you documents to sign to begin the process. After you sign an acknowledgment of paternity form, you may need to file this form with the court. You can also sign a form called the “voluntary affidavit acknowledging paternity” at a Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) office.

What Are My Options If My Child’s Other Parent Refuses To Pay Child Support?

If your child’s other parent is unable to pay child support or refuses to pay, you may be tempted to withhold visitation until you receive this support. Do not do this. Parents who violate child custody agreements can face penalties, which can add to your expenses.

Our attorneys are well-versed in child support laws. We can take legal steps to enforce your support order and prevent you from jeopardizing your own parental rights.

Unsure About Your Legal Options? Contact Us.

Countless families and individuals have relied on us to protect their interests throughout the family law matter, and so can you. You can reach us easily online or over the phone at 480-637-0907 to schedule your private consultation with a lawyer who cares. Se habla español.